lördag 3 juli 2010

Music is never physical!


I've got a friend in the music business who I've sent a couple of promos to from the label - all releases, come to think of it. Everytime I get the same respons: I hate mp3s. Send me a minute of the main track, I have too much to do. Essentially; I'm not bothered if it's not physical. He then goes on to write an email about how well his physical-records-only label is doing. And all I ever get from him on Facebook is pictures of his new slipmats or whatever it may be for the day.

Well, I've got news for you friend. Music is never physical or non-physical once it's played. You mean to tell me that music is essentially worthless to you, if it's not engraved on a piece of plastic, so that it can be played with a grammophone?


I think the essential lesson about music is that it's never worthless; it's something deeply rooted in our culture, something we crave, something we need in order to express what mere words can't. And at the moment you play it, it is something rather physical, vibrations hitting not only your eardrums but your entire body, enhancing or even changing your emotions. And that's regardless of if it's played from a physical disc or from an iPod.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar